Friday 3 April 2009

The Grammar and Punctuation Headache

So the English version of the story is now finalised and ready to be pasted into the booklet. Just gave it a final whiz through 'Word's' spelling and grammar checker. 'Inanimate' objects should be animals, vegetables and minerals 'that' do things. Giving the wolf and the elves names and/or personalities mean transgressing this and so they have become creatures 'who' do things. Naughty. Door post, window sill, honeybees, backpacks, bed time, daytime and night time - 'Word' wants to contract everything. I've chosen the Oxford English Dictionary version over the Word version. Sorry - editorial decision.

I know my adverbs aren't all in the right places, but have chosen common use over correct English. I've done proof reading in my time: I still think perfection is always just out of reach, and it's all a total headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment